We Must Go

(published in Cordele Dispatch 8/5/10)
I have now had a few days to reflect on the things pondered in my heart throughout the week of my family’s recent mission trip to Oklahoma. God moved in magnificent ways in the lives of many in attendance, but what will we do with the passion for missions that was ignited in us? It’s not enough to just experience the emotions of the moment. We must have a heart change and our hearts must mirror the heart of God. If we only go through the motions and have no compassion for those we serve, then there is no real change at all. Meeting physical needs is not enough. We must place high priority on the spiritual needs of those same individuals being ministered to. Jesus was the perfect example for us in that not only did he heal the sick and feed the hungry, but He was concerned with their spiritual health as well. And so we must be also.

Isaiah 61:1 (NIV) reminds us that we have been called to serve: “….the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness for the prisoners”.

When we “GO”, it produces compassion in us. When we have compassion for those in need, both physical and spiritual, we will be acting as the hands and feet of Christ. As I pray for God to continue to motivate me and give me the desire to do His Will, I am reminded of a song by contemporary Christian artist, Tim Hughes. The chorus continues to ring in my head each day. It is my prayer that I would be obedient to God’s call on my life. Here are some of the words to the chorus:

“We must go, live to feed the hungry, stand beside the broken. We must go. Stepping forward, keep us from just singing. Move us into action. We must go”… “Fill us up, Lord, and send us out”.
Let’s allow Romans 10:14-15 (NIV) to serve as our daily reminder: “How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, how beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” Let’s be the hands and feet of Christ.

Labels: