God is always in style


Recently at church, our youth pastor made a statement to the students and asked them what their first response would be.  He stated, “God is out.  Sin is in”.  I didn’t speak out, but my first thought was of how evil this world really is in this present time….it seems that sin is REALLY in!  But it was the response of a young lady in the group that is the basis of this article.  She stated that his comment reminded her of fashion trends and how certain clothing can be “so yesterday”. 
If you know anything about fashion, you will also remember that fashion trends tend to repeat themselves years after they are “in style”.  Her comment reminded me of how we store certain articles of clothing away, knowing that one day they will come back in style and we can get more use out of them.
As I’ve thought more about this young lady’s response to, “God is out.  Sin is in”, I thought about how we treat God much like our seasonal attire.  We tend to pack God up in a box and place him on the closet shelf for another season of life…only for the times when he’s “really” needed. 
During the pleasant seasons of our lives, we tend to forget about him, only calling on him when we enter a difficult season, a time of crisis or uncertainty.  And that’s so unfair!  God never goes out of style.    He is the ultimate designer, always knowing what suits us best.  We are His creation, and He knows exactly what we need, when we need it.
 I don’t mean any disrespect at all when I say this, but compare God for just a minute to a good pair of jeans.  A good fitting pair of jeans is a staple in any wardrobe.  You can wear them regardless of what the season is.  You can dress them up or dress them down.  They are a necessity.  Just as jeans can be a staple in our wardrobe, God should be the main staple in our lives.  Regardless of what season of life we are in, we need Him to complete us. 
 As we approach a new season, I’m preparing, once again, to get my out-of-season clothing out of storage and take inventory of what I have.  I will take a look at what the current fashion trends are for this season and maybe pick up a few things to bring fresh life into my wardrobe.  While doing this, I’m sure I will think about this article and how much this young lady’s comment inspired me to strive to look more like Christ in my daily life.  I want my walk with the Lord to be like a fashion show, sporting the latest and greatest of fashions that never go out of style! 

Labels: